Skip to content ↓
Join us on Facebook

Money Matters

Benefit Entitlement

If you would like to find out what benefit entitlements you have, or want to know what your benefits would be if you returned to work Jobcentre Plus can help you.

Please use the link below to either locate your local office or access information online:

You can also use the link below to access the benefits calculator to find out what you could be entitled to:

Tax Credits

Tax credits are payments from the government. If you're responsible for at least one child or young person, you may qualify for Child Tax Credit. If you work, but are on a low income, you may qualify for Working Tax Credit. You can often get both types of tax credits. They aren't taxable.

If you've got children you could get tax credits, but you don't need to have children to claim. You may also qualify if you are working and on a low income.

If you work and have children, you could also be entitled to the childcare element of working tax credits, this can cover up to 70 percent of your childcare costs.

Couples can make joint claims for tax credits.

Use the link below to use an online calculator to find out what you could be entitled to:

Tax free Childcare Scheme

Information for parents- 10 things parents should know

Child Benefit

You get Child Benefit if you’re responsible for a child under 16 (or under 20 if they stay in approved education or training).

Only one person can get Child Benefit for a child.

There are Two Child Benefit rates:

Who the allowance is for:

Weekly Rate

Eldest or Only Child


Additional Children

£13.70 per child

To make a claim for Child Benefit, you can use the link below to fill out a CH2 online Child Benefit application from:

It can take up to 12 weeks to process a new Child Benefit claim (or longer if you’re new to the UK). Claim Child Benefit as soon as your child is born or comes to live with you.

Child Benefit can be backdated for up to 3 months - make your claim as soon as possible.

If you don’t have the birth or adoption certificate, you should still send in your claim form - send the certificate later on when you’ve got it.

You don’t need the birth or adoption certificate if you’ve claimed Child Benefit before and are making a new claim for the same child.

You can use the link below to order new birth certificates if originals have been misplaced.

Child Trust Fund

Children born between 1st September 2002 and 2nd January 2011 are entitled to a Child Trust Fund account. You don't need to make a claim to get the account started; the Government will have automatically have sent you a voucher.

The account can give your child a head start as a young adult. It will help your child understand personal finance and the importance of saving for their future. The account belongs to them and when they turn 18, the money is theirs to use as they think best.

There’s no tax to pay on the Child Trust Fund income or any profits it makes. It won’t affect any benefits or tax credits you receive.

If you would like to find out where your child’s trust fund is held, you can fill out an online form using the link below:

Junior ISA

Your child can have a Junior ISA if:

  • They are Under 18
  • Live in the UK
  • Weren’t entitled to a Child Trust Fund

For more information, please use the link below:

Sure Start Maternity Grant

Coping with the extra costs of a new baby can be difficult. There’s a grant to help you give your baby a positive start in life. It’s called the Sure Start Maternity Grant.

The grant is made from the Social Fund and you do not have to pay it back.

Who can get the grant?

You can get a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner are getting:

  • Income Support
  • Income based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit which includes an amount higher than the family element
  • Working Tax Credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award

How do I claim?

You can claim a Sure Start Maternity Grant on form SF100. You can get the form from the News & Downloads area of our site, click here. The form comes with notes that will help you fill it in and tell you where to send it.

If you have a partner, either of you can fill in the claim form, but make sure you include the name of the baby’s mother.

You can claim a Sure Start Maternity Grant at any time from the 29th week of your pregnancy until your child is three months old.

If you are adopting a baby, you must claim the grant within three months of the adoption and the baby should be no more than 12 months old when you claim.

If you or you or your partner have been granted a parental order for a surrogate birth, you must claim within three months of the date of the parental order.

Step Change Debt Charity

Step Change are a registered charity.They offer free, expert debt advice as well as providing free debt management action plans.

Use the link below to take a look at their website:

Credit Action

This is a national money education charity, formed to help people better manage their money.
It offers a range of resources including debt advice guides and budget sheets, which can be downloaded from its website:

We have a range of information leaflets available at the centre, staff are happy to offer any information or advice you may require.